A joint initiative by CESAER, CLUSTER, EuroTech Universities Alliance, IDEA League and Nordic Five Tech
Tuesday 13 October 2015
From 09:00 to 11:00 (breakfast served from 08:30)
At Science 14 Atrium, Rue de la Science 14b, B-1040 Brussel
As societies become more complex and technology-driven, continuing innovations in doctoral training are essential to respond to the growing demand for an increasingly diverse research talent. While prioritizing research excellence, this increasingly requires that doctoral candidates are equipped with the skills to be autonomous, creative, critical and entrepreneurial.
Approximately 80% of new PhDs at Universities of Science and Technology go on to pursue a professional career outside of academia. Responding to this development is a significant challenge for Universities of Science and Technology, especially in view of their increasing intentions to the “third mission” of addressing societal challenges.
Ernst Rank, Founding Director of International Graduate School for Science and Engineering, Technische Universität München, Germany (confirmed)
Panel Discussion with the following panelists
- Rinske van den Berg, Policy Officer, ERA Policy Unit, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission (confirmed)
- Alberto Pisoni, Director, Control Systems, General Motors Powertrain S.r.l., Torino, Italy (confirmed)
- Jan Fransoo, Dean of the Graduate School, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands (confirmed)
- Rasmus Schmidt Davidsen, Doctoral Researcher in nanostructuring silicon solar cells, Technical Co-founder of Black Silicon Solar (confirmed)
- Willemijn Dicke, Secretary General, IDEA League will moderate the panel discussion (confirmed)
This event will bring together the five principal European associations of Universities of Science, Technology and Engineering – CESAER, CLUSTER, EuroTech Universities Alliance, IDEA League and NORDICFIVE TECH. It will provide the occasion to launch a joint paper in relation to strategies and best practices in implementing the Principles of Innovative Doctoral Training, as well as promoting open discusion among the key European stakeholders and the audience.
Please register here.