Even though the event "Engineering (for) Europe's future" was our 8th annual High Level Event in Brussels, we engineered something new and kicked off the evening of 12 December with an unusual format - a dialogue between the Vice President of DTU's Student Union, Andreas Goll Rossau, and the EuroTech Universities Alliance President, Professor Thomas F. Hofmann (Technical University of Munich). The discussion touched on the contribution of universities to the climate challenge, the difficulties balancing old versus new (greener) tech and particulary what this means for study programmes and student well-being. Discover the flavour of the discussion on Twitter #Engineering4EU.
The subsequent high-level panel featured an ecclectic mix of different perspectives from the European Commission, the European Parliament, university management and academia. On the panel moderated by Sean Klein were:
- Fabrizia Benini, Head of Unit Digital Economy and Skills, European Commission
- Niklas Nienaß, Member of European Parliament
- Uri Sivan, President of Technion, Israel Institute of Technology
- Yvonne de Kort, Professor of environmental psychology, Human-Technology Interaction group, Eindhoven University of Technology
- Pierre Dillenbourg, Professor in learning technologies at the School of Computer & Communication Sciences, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
As in previous years, the event was rounded off with a demostration that framed the show on stage and 'spiced up' the networking reception. In light of the topic, we invited some of Europe's most successful student competition teams to join us for the evening: