On 30 June, ShanghaiRanking released the 2020 edition of their Global Ranking of Academic Subjects. This release contains rankings of universities in 54 subjects across Natural Sciences, Engineering, Life Sciences, Medical Sciences, and Social Sciences. In total, more than 4000 universities were ranked.
The ranking indicators include:
- The number of papers published in Q1 Journal Impact Factor Quartile in an Academic Subject
- Category Normalized Citation Impact from InCites to measure average impact of papers authored by an institution in an Academic Subject
- The percentage of internationally co-authored papers authored by an institution in an Academic Subject
- The number of papers published in top journals and conferences in an Academic Subject
- The total number of the staff of an institution winning a significant award in an Academic Subject
The EuroTech Universities excel above all but not exclusively in the engineering disciplines. For instance, Technion and Technical University of Munich share world rank 16 in Aerospace Engineering. École Polytechnique and their French partner schools entered the ranking for the first time as Institut Polytechnique de Paris and received 3 top 50 rankings in the Mathematics, Physics, and Statistics.
Congratulations to all the universities!
You can find the complete ranking here.