One of the roles of universities of science and technology is to serve society by
- Supporting innovative research that serves the citizens and
- Educating the new generation to embrace our societal values and to tackle the challenges our society is and will be facing.
Against this backdrop, “Sustainable Society” was an obvious Focus Area to establish for the EuroTech Universities, which decided to join their efforts under this broad headline in multiple, interdisciplinary topics such as energy, smart mobility, circular economy and more.
Furthermore, the six partners also work together on the development of sustainable campuses to transform their universities into living labs allowing research and student projects to draw on applied operations data and to test innovative technologies.
In June 2023, the six EuroTech Universities declared their unanimous commitment to sustainability and signed the following declaration (download pdf).
Declaration for Sustainability
- Are committed to sustainable development, embodied by the 17 Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations adopted in 2015 as the prime challenge for humanity today.
- Will integrate the challenges posed by sustainable development in initial education and life-long training as a principal responsibility to train students and professionals to understand and solve key scientific, technological, and societal challenges.
- Commit to advancing the frontiers of knowledge, technology, and innovation as essential tools for transformation towards absolute sustainability and will develop original technological solutions needed to address the world’s acute problems.
- Recognize that technological development and scale-up must be complemented by behavioural changes to ensure responsible consumption, to avoid strain on the environment, and to reach a circular economy.
- Are Living Labs committed to implementing sustainable solutions across their campuses, training, research, and innovation activities.
- Commit to mobilizing their entire community as drivers of transformation through a collaborative, participative, inclusive and transparent approach.
- Will also activate their global partner network to reach societal wellbeing and global sustainability.
Clean hydrogen to repower a sustainable society
On 29 November 2022, we organised a EuroTech Policy Deep Dive on hydrogen. Clean hydrogen is at the core of the REPowerEU Plan and the Fit for 55 package, major initiatives within the European Green Deal. Especially in the current context of the on-going energy crisis and the EU striving for strategic autonomy in key sectors, hydrogen is at the centre of many discussions. We discussed with experts of the EuroTech Universities, from the European Commission and the industry how to implement the strategy outlined by the EU. Watch the recording and learn more about the event.
Sustainable solutions by EuroTech Innovators
On 9 December 2022, selected innovators from the EuroTech Universities had the chance to present their inventions to Margrethe Vestager, Executive Vice-President of the European Commission and EU Commissioner for Competition. Those innovators stand for the many that work on sustainable solutions in our EuroTech ecosystems.
They also visited the company Hyme and learnt more about their journey from lab to market. Furthermore on the agenda: A discussion with PreSeed Ventures, who provided insight into their investments in deep-tech and sustainable companies.
EuroTech Future Award
Contributing to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is a core element of our vision as an alliance, and we are proud of the achievements of our researchers that help Europe and the world advance on their way to a more sustainable future.
The EuroTech Future Award, launched in 2023, recognises excellent scientific contributions to the UN SDGs by EuroTech researchers that are at the beginning of their career.
Contributing to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
Many of the 17 SDGs of the United Nations can be found under the umbrella of the Sustainable Society Focus Area. At the moment the Alliance focuses mainly on the following ones: SDG 7 (Affordable and Clean Energy), SDG 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure), SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities), and SDG 12 (Responsible Consumption and Production).